To flip our response to the offenses in our lives.
- Share a New Year’s resolution or a change you want to make in 2019.
- Would you rather attempt a backflip on solid ground, or do a flip off of an Olympic high dive?
- What’s your word for 2019? Tell your group about why you chose it.
Ask eGroup members to share their favorite points from the sermon, what spoke to them, a phrase or moment from the sermon they related to the most, or questions they have. If members have a hard time recalling the sermon, talk through your notes and share your favorite points.
Remind your group that this message was about flipping the way we respond to challenges and offenses in our lives so that we’re dealing with the real cause instead of symptoms on the surface.
Start with Scripture
Read Matthew 15:10-20.
- What stands out to you in this passage? Are there any parts that challenge you or your perspective?
- Read verses 12 and 13. What do they mean to you? How can we apply this in the context of truth versus tradition? (Jesus is comparing the Pharisees to uprooted plants because they weren’t rooted in God, but in their own traditions.)
- Take It Further: Read 1 Samuel 18:5-9. Why was Saul offended? What was at the root of his offense? What would it have looked like for him to flip his response?
Make It Personal
- Describe some offenses (e.g., behaviors, attitudes, actions, etc.) about yourself that you’ve successfully changed. How did you do it?
- (Give your group some paper and a pen.) What are some current offenses you want to change? Write them down, then circle two to focus on.
- Where are those two offenses coming from? What are their origins?
- How could those offenses be an opportunity for you to grow?
- Where are those two offenses going? What could be some outcomes of not fixing them or only fixing them on the surface?
- How do you need to flip your response to those offenses?
- What do you need to prioritize this year so God can help you flip your response?
Act On It
- Read Matthew 15:10-20 each day this week. Ask God to help you flip your response to your offenses.
Prayer Requests and Prayer
Ask eGroup members to share any prayer requests they have. Record any notes or prayer requests to pray for members during the week.
Dear Lord, thank You for using our offenses as opportunities to help us grow. We want to have the right response to our offenses — help us flip the way we see them and the way we respond to them. This week, show us the offenses You want us to fix, and this year, fill our hearts with Your priorities so we can be in position to receive all You want to do in us and through us. In Jesus’ name, amen.