KINGDOM CLOUT PART I
- You get to rule your own kingdom — what’s your national pastime? (e.g., Baseball is considered the national pastime of the United States. Yours could be another sport, a hobby, or anything you want.)
- What’s the funniest/craziest thing you’ve ever done to try to fit in?
- Fill in the blank with the first thing that comes to mind: “I want _______.”
Ask eGroup members to share their favorite points from the sermon, what spoke to them, a phrase or moment from the sermon they related to the most, or questions they have. If members have a hard time recalling the sermon, talk through your notes and share your favorite points.
Make It Personal
- What does the word “clout” mean to you? (Some synonyms are influence, power, leverage, and control.)
- How has culture informed the way we define clout? What are some ways people chase clout?
- Read Matthew 20:20-21. Why do you think the mother asked for her sons to be next to Jesus in His kingdom? How can you relate to what she wanted?
- The mother was honest with Jesus about what she wanted. How easy is it for you to be honest with God about what you really want? (Do you pray about what you really want, or about what you think you should want?) What are some things that make this kind of honesty difficult?
- Talk about how having this kind of honesty with God (and not having it) can impact the level of significance and security you feel.
- Where in your life do you want more clout? What are some things you’ve done to get it?
- Read Luke 10:30-35. The Samaritan wasn’t looking for clout, but God used what he did to reach millions of people in the Bible. How does that change the way you see clout? (Think about how Jesus described the kingdom of God as like a mustard seed in Matthew 13:31-32.)
Act On It
Pray with your group. Have everyone in the group share an area of their life where they’ve been striving for something. Pray together that, during this sermon series, God will reveal to each person how they can let go of chasing that want and focus on believing they’ve already got “it” — God’s kingdom and favor.
PRAYER REQUESTS AND PRAYER
Ask eGroup members to share any prayer requests they have. Record any notes or prayer requests to pray for members during the week.
Father, thank You for choosing us for the life You’ve given us. Thank You for the great things You have planned for us this year. Make us great in the places where You’ve planted us — make us flourish and prosper. Help us see Your kingdom all around us and recognize where You’ve placed us for a specific reason so we can have the impact You want. In Jesus’ name, amen.