Now I Know Why
- What’s something you like to be praised for?
- If you could give one gift to anyone in the world, what would it be, and who would you give it to?
- Which would mean more to you: a heartfelt birthday card from your boss, an act of service from your neighbor, or someone anonymously buying your meal at a restaurant?
Ask eGroup members to share their favorite points from the sermon, what spoke to them, a phrase or moment from the sermon they related to the most, or questions they have. If members have a hard time recalling the sermon, talk through your notes and share your favorite points.
Make It Personal
- What’s something you like to give? Why? (e.g., service, food, encouragement, hugs, advice, etc.)
- Share some ways you give to God. What’s the “why” behind why you give to Him? (How has God shown up in your life that makes you want to give back to Him?)
- Pastor Steven shared three reasons why he gives to God: worship, wisdom, and witness. Which one challenged your perspective the most, and why? (Have you ever thought of giving as an act of worship, wisdom, or witnessing? How did these points change the way you look at giving?) Read
Colossians 3:12-17. Where do you see worship, wisdom, and witness in this passage?
- Read Matthew 26:6-13. Identify how the woman (Mary) showed worship, wisdom, and witness. Which of those three are easiest and most difficult for you? (Why are some of these easier or more difficult for you? What are some ways you give that are acts of worship, wisdom, or witnessing?)
- Are there other reasons you give to God? What are your “three reasons”? (Help group members think about how their “why” might determine the three reasons they give.)
Act On It
Pastor Steven keeps a photo of his kids nearby that helps him remember why he gives to God. What’s your why? This week, get a photo or write something down that reminds you of what God has done for you and why you want to give to Him. Keep it close to you as you think and pray about the Year-End Offering on Dec. 7-8. Text a picture of it to your group and share your why!
Prayer Requests and Prayer
Ask eGroup members to share any prayer requests they have. Record any notes or prayer requests to pray for members during the week.
Father, thank You for providing everything we need. Thank You for being a generous giver. We pray that, this week, You’ll remind us what You’ve given us and what You’ve done for us. Help us choose to give in ways that worship You, show wisdom and trust in You, and that witness about who You are. In Jesus’ name, amen.