Unlearn Your Limitations
If you could have unlimited free food from any restaurant for life, which restaurant would you choose?
What’s something you learned in school that you’ve never had to use as an adult? (e.g., geometry, chemistry, geography, etc.)
Ask eGroup members to share their favorite points from the sermon, what spoke to them, a phrase or moment from the sermon they related to the most, or questions they have. If members have a hard time recalling the sermon, talk through your notes and share your favorite points.
Make It Personal
- What’s something you’ve had to unlearn? (e.g., something you were taught in school was wrong, you thought something was possible/impossible and you found out the opposite is true, you thought something about yourself and later outgrew/overcame it, etc.)
- Pastor Steven challenged us to confront the limitations that God is calling us to unlearn. Talk about some limitations you’re facing (some roofs you need to break through). What beliefs are contributing to those limitations? (What lies have you believed? What truths needs to replace them? Is there a gift you received that has become a limitation?)
- What does unlearning look like? Why do we resist this process? Talk about how you’ve been resisting unlearning something.
- What truths can replace what you need to unlearn? Talk about some practical ways you can take steps toward those truths.
- Read Mark 2:1-12. This story shows us the confrontational nature of God — He will confront things like beliefs, limitations, and perspectives when they need to be unlearned. Does thinking of God as confrontational challenge your perception of Him? How have you experienced that part of His nature?
- How can we respond with faith instead of fear when we feel God confronting something in our lives? (What’s your reaction when God confronts something in your life? Talk about some common fear responses. What can we do to start looking for a limitation — a roof — when God starts confronting something?)
Act On It
Break through a roof this week. Each day, reflect on this story when the scribes failed to recognize the limitation they needed to unlearn, and ask God to help you see where He is confronting something right in front of you. Below are links where you can find these passages in Mark, Matthew, and Luke.
Prayer Requests And Prayer
Ask eGroup members to share any prayer requests they have. Record any notes or prayer requests to pray for members during the week.
Father, thank You for loving us enough to confront the things we need to change. Please give us eyes to see the limits we need to unlearn and the courage and conviction to respond when You confront something. In Jesus’ name, amen.